Michael Pollan’s Food Rules is a pocket-sized manual on effective eating.
Utility: ★★★★✰ (4/5)
Writing: ★★★★✰ (4/5)
Quite a useful guide that confirms a lot of what my mother says. Certainly worth the time investment!
- The Western diet is the root of our poor health, and it manifests as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Traditional diets the world over, some high-fat, some high-carbs, all manage to do better.
- Avoid processed foods, particularly ones that rely on sugar and advertising.
- Eat a variety of plants. Eat meat sparingly (only grass-fed (except fish!)).
- Vitamin supplements don’t help.
- Enjoy naturally caffeinated drinks.
- Enjoy a glass of wine with dinner.
- Eat less - eat slowly from a smaller plate with others around you.